The Dormont Borough Council adopted the IBC, International Building Code, Act 45 (2009 Edition). The Code is designed to promote the public health, safety and welfare of the residents of Dormont Borough, while at the same time regulating the design, construction, alteration, demolition, extension, repair and removal of all buildings, homes and structures.
Before any construction, alteration, extension, repair, demolition, or removal of any house or commercial structure begins, the Borough must review and approve the submitted plans and specifications. All plans and specifications must be in a form and manner specifically required by the Dormont Borough Code. Generally speaking, a current survey, a plot plan and a clean sketch is all that is needed for review purposes. However, depending on the complexity of the job, additional plans may be need to be submitted for review.
Contact the Borough Office Building Department at 412-561-8900.
The following is the process for obtaining a building, electrical, mechanical or accessibility permit.
- Submit the appropriate application to the Borough during our normal business hours of Monday through Friday from 8:30 AM until 4:30 PM.
- The Zoning Official will review the application to ensure that it meets the requirements of the Borough’s Zoning Code. You will receive a Zoning Determination letter for those projects requiring one. If you require Zoning approval and do not meet the Zoning Code you will be asked to provide additional information or modify your project. If you do not need Zoning approval, or meet the requirements of the Zoning Code, your application will be submitted to the Building Inspector for plan review.
- Once your application is submitted, he will review the plans, identify any additional information needed, collect a fee for services, and notify the you that a permit can be issued.
- As work commences, the contractor/property owner is responsible for contacting the borough to arrange for any required inspections. Inspections are provided as part of the plan review and permit issuance process.
Work which Requires a Permit
- All New Construction
- Interior Renovations
- Changing dimensions or removing of any existing window or door
- Opening of any new window or door
- Construction or reconstruction of any wall or staircase
- Removal or relocation of any existing wall or staircase
- Installation and/or replacement of HVAC units
- Any plumbing activities (permit issued by Allegheny County)
- All electrical work requires an inspection by an approved agency
- Exterior Renovations
- Additions to existing structures
- Porch enclosures
- Public and Private sidewalks
- Private driveways and parking areas
- Porch, patio and /or stairway (construction and reconstruction)
- Construction or reconstruction of any wall
- Replacement of over 25% of roof
- Installation of permanent awnings
- Erection or replacement of fencing
- Installation of swimming pools & hot tubs with a depth greater than 18″.